Environment & Sustainability
Pure Lakes Skincare Limited produces Hand Made and Natural Face, Bath and Body Products for sale via the website, through Retail outlets and by mail order.
The Directors of Pure Lakes Skincare Limited, Staveley, Cumbria recognise their responsibility to manage the environmental impacts of our activities, products and services. We have assessed our activities and identified the major impacts as the use of energy in purchase of ingredients and product production, transport emissions, the use of packaging and the generation (along with the subsequent disposal) of waste from raw material deliveries.
However, a major positive impact is the use of natural, bio-degradable raw ingredients only and the promotion of people to use these products.
In order to promote good environmental practices, our Policy with regard to the environment is as follows:-
- Raw Materials – predominantly based around the word ‘Natural’. Natural to us means that our ingredients are derived from sustainable plants with the minimum amount of processing required. The only exception to this is Beeswax which is natural but not derived from plants. As we are not currently large enough to buy direct from growers, we are very careful to ensure that our suppliers can trace the origin of the materials they stock. Wherever possible, we give preference to Fair Trade and small Co-operatives. To minimise the adverse effect on the environment, we try to use produce that is either organically grown or grown with the minimum use of fertilisers or pesticides.
- Packaging – to keep to an absolute minimum whilst still complying with legal requirements in terms of information. The packaging that we use is from either recycled material or is recyclable/reusable in itself. It is our policy to use PET bottles where glass is not appropriate.
- Waste Generation and Disposal – to recycle or reuse all cardboard, paper, glass and plastic. We are also keen to help our customers to minimise waste by offering bulk purchase and bottle refill services. We also offer a Bulk Refill Scheme to the Hospitality Industry to enable them to re-use bottles thereby cutting down on waste. Our finished products are all bio-degradable. We strive to produce high quality end products at prices that are accessible to all.
- Minimise Product Miles and Impact of Transport – use of UK suppliers for all of our raw materials and packaging. However, a number of our ingredients will have had to have been imported by those suppliers. We have chosen our car because it is a high mileage/low emissions model.
- Whilst our energy requirement is relatively low, we intend to investigate energy sources that have a positive effect on the environment.
- To comply with all relevant environmental legislation and regulations.
- To commit to the prevention of pollution.
We are committed to continually monitor our working practices and to seek opportunities to improve them in ways that have a positive effect on the environment.